Monday, August 10, 2009

A Letter For Daddy

Last week Superman and I went to visit my sister and her family, and my parents while they were visiting her. We had a great time, and I especially had a great time with my family as I don't get to see them very often because I live far away from them all now. While we were there I had the opportunity to cut my father's hair and it brought back to my remembrance all the times he cut my hair as a little child and all the fond memories I have.
I know Father's Day has passed and so has your Birthday Dad, and I did call, but right now I would just like to write a tribute to you to tell you how much I love and appreciate you, and what a difference you have made in my life over the years.
You taught me how to tie my shoes (I still remember that day,) you taught me how to ride a bike, how to swim, how to walk on stilts, how to pay tithing, how to tie a neck tie, how to drive, how to gain knowledge, and how to see things through. You taught me to have an open mind so that I could learn from others experience and not judge them. You taught me to seek truth and to love the gospel. You taught me how to communicate well with others, which I've found is an uncommon gift.
You have always made me feel like a beautiful princess and protected me from harm as best as you could. You provided a loving home and always managed to provide for our wants and needs without over indulging. I have always felt special and never spoiled. You taught me to value truth and to face truth with courage. As a result; I can't hardly lie, I can't lie because it's lying. Thank you for that. My life is so much easier because I can tell the truth. I can stare truth boldly in the eyes and show others that the truth is okay and it's good; even though sometimes it's not what you want to hear, the truth truly does set you free and I have nothing to hide because of it and that is a wonderful feeling.
You taught me to love and respect nature and all living things. You instilled in me a quick forgiveness that I am ever grateful to have. You taught me that none of us are perfect, we all make mistakes and have weakness, and we all deserve to be forgiven and loved for who we are. I can look at others now and love and respect them as living creatures and children of God just as I am, whatever their faults may be. Even if I am offended at times I can forgive, because everyone has their own point of view and their own reasons for doing things, and you taught me that.
You taught me to dare to be different. It's okay to have my own style and my own way of doing things, and I have learned to be charming about it. So many times people I have associated with have been delighted at my old fashioned ways. I've seen how it has worked as a blessing to me as well as others because I don't have to kowtow to the group all the time. Thank you for teaching me to play by my own rules instead of popular culture and opinion. I can judge for myself what is right and be a leader when needed.
You also taught me to enjoy life. I have had so many wonderful experiences because you taught me to embrace the moment and give new things a try. I have had the courage to go to college, to try repelling, to try rock climbing, to try sushi, to go to social events where I didn't know anyone. My life has been so much fuller and exciting because you taught me to not let fear get in my way. Thank you for teaching me the courage to live life, and to follow my dreams.
I just want to let you know that you were and still are a wonderful Dad. Thank you for always loving and supporting me unconditionally even though I don't always do things the way you wanted. You taught me well how to manage through my difficulties and trials and to work my hardest at what was in my power to do. I love you Daddy with all my heart, you are still my Superhero.
Your Baby Girl. XOXOXO

No comments: