Wednesday, January 20, 2010

For Dinner

Tonight I made Chicken Satay with Jasmine Rice and Vegitable Kabobs. It's wonderful so I decided to share it.

Chicken Satay (a partial recipe from Williams-Sonoma)
Superman and I enjoy this dish very much; it originally came with a recipe for peanut sauce, but the sauce is more trouble than it’s worth and the chicken holds it’s own unaccompanied. So I just make the chicken and add rice a veggies.
1 ½ lbs boneless skinless Chicken breast, ½ cup Coconut Milk, ¼ cup Fish Sauce, 3 Tbsp Brown Sugar, 2 Tbsp chopped fresh Cilantro, 1 Tbsp Madras Curry Powder
Cut chicken into 1 ½ x 4 inch strips. Mix all ingredients in a large bowl. Add chicken strips to bowl and massage around to coat evenly. Cover chicken in the bowl and place in the fridge for 1 hour. Soak 8 to 12 wooden skewers; 9” long each, in water to cover for at least 20 minutes.Remove chicken from refrigerator and weave strips onto soaked wooden skewers. Discard remaining marinade. If using a stove-top grill pan, preheat it over high heat. Brush grill rack or pan with oil. Place the skewers on the rack or pan and sear the chicken until golden brown on each side, 4-5 minutes per side. If using a charcoal grill, move the skewers away from the direct flame, cover the grill, and cook until the chicken is opaque throughout, about 5 minutes. If using a grill pan turn off the hear, cover the pan, and let the chicken stand for about 5 minutes. Arrange skewers on a warmed platter and serve with peanut sauce on the side.


While I was waiting for my chicken to marinade, I decided to try out my new Organic Wheat Pastry Flour and make some Apple Maple scones of which recipe I've been meaning to try out for some time now. You'll find the recipe here. Only I added a little more of each flour and used 1/4 cup of maple syrup and only 1 Tbsp of sugar. They were good but didn't taste very sweet so I whipped up some brandy flavored glaze to drizzle on top, and wow, I love them. They are like a really good bowl of oatmeal with apple cinnamon and fruity sweetness. - Only better cuz they're scones and go very nicely with a warm cup of teazan. Enjoy! I certainly am.

No comments: