Thursday, April 8, 2010

Things that make me happy this month

I go in and out of obsession fazes throughout my life, gradually improving on talents and picking up new talents with each faze. My most recent obsession has been sewing. I made an apron for my sister at Christmas and I just finished an apron for my aunt last month. (It was meant for Christmas also but it's a busy time of year and the season is past, so I'll send it to her anyway and she can wear it this Christmas!) Other than sewing up a jumper for myself in my junior high years, with the aid of my mother, and a book bag in Young Women's I had never really sewn much of anything prior to last winter. I bought a cheap sewing machine last fall and began to teach myself and call home to my mother for tips. My sister's apron which I posted earlier was my first project. I have since been finding all sorts of patterns online and buying clothing patterns too. The challenge is finding the right fabric for the right project, which has also been one of my biggest obstacles aside from finding the money to buy fabric.
My most recent purchase was a much needed and longed for ironing board- which my husband helped me to find and buy (mostly the getting home with it part.) with the promise that I will now iron his church shirts more often now that I don't have to wage it over on a towel on our TV room floor. (Oh my aching knees!) ;o) I feel so joyful to finally have my very own ironing board! It feels somewhat like a right of passage into the domestic world, and an ironing board is so essential to a seamstress!
Speaking of the domestic world; last week I made my very first batch of Hollandaise sauce and served it as a Sauce Chantilly over poached Dover Sole. By the way, I don't think Dover Sole is real Sole and I would not by it again. The sauce and poaching of the fish was; however, SO yummy. Thank you Julia Child for teaching me to poach fish and make Hollandaise sauce all in one night! Even though the Hollandaise was so rich and creamy I did put too much lemon juice in it, even for my taste. So, I will have to try again and serve it over an omelet I will also learn to make from the late Mrs. Child.
Another happy occurrence in this my birth month is that my hair has finally recovered enough from my last bad hair cut that I can wear it down again. Before it was so unruly I had to banish it to ponytail holders for months, but now I can curl it! Hooray! No more flyaways! So now it needs a trim and I am much too frightened to let anyone touch it ever again.. Hmmm what to do.. Should I drive 5 hours to see my old reliable hair stylist, Chana, or... I can't even bare to think of the alternative right now. Chana is wonderful she can see in what patterns my hair grows and cut it so that it naturally lays beautifully on my head. I think all hair stylists should be so talented.
Well I will have to post about Valentines Day and Easter in my next blog because it is just too late at night now and I have work in the morning. So for now, Good night.

No comments: