Friday, May 14, 2010

Patience, the Ultimate Virtue? -A Soap Box

Superman and I listened to the Priesthood session during the break between General Conference sessions on Easter Sunday. Elder Uchtdorf's talk on Patience really struck a cord with me. During his talk I remembered pondering the virtue of patience when I was a teenager, and how hard I'd worked on developing it.
Working in retail can really tax your patience, but I'm sure that's true of any job. Not only at work but everywhere I go I find my patience overcome by annoyance and judgement. I see immature people driving, ignorant people voting, irresponsible people raising children, and self-centered people shopping. You might say, "Oh how judgemental; who am I to point out the flaws of others." I only can see the world no longer values the same virtues it once did, and I see it in the people of the world. I'm afraid to raise children in it because I want something better, and more wholesome for my children.
I feel so relieved when I see someone doing a good deed, speaking respectfully to another, cleaning up, or favoring a gracious gesture. I think if I can just do as much good as I can, and be patient with the rest of the world, there are enough people out there just trying to do good that it will prevail.
I am glad to be reminded not to give up on patience.

No comments: